- 2015 – 2016 Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Bristol, UK. Supervisor: Prof. Derek N. Woolfson
- 2011 – 2015 PhD, Bristol Chemical Synthesis Centre for Doctoral Training, University of Bristol, UK. Supervisors: Profs Timothy Gallagher and Derek N. Woolfson
- 2007 – 2011 MChem, Keble College, University of Oxford, UK. Supervisor: Prof. Benjamin G. Davis FRS
My research interests lie in understanding and exploiting the interactions of proteins and carbohydrates. During my PhD, I worked on two projects: the first involved the chemoenzymatic synthesis of bioactive oligosaccharides for application in regenerative medicine; the second was a structural bioinformatic analysis of protein–carbohydrate interactions in X-ray crystal structures.
My current project is to develop novel glycosynthase and glycoligase enzymes for the synthesis of fucose-containing oligosaccharides.
5) Baker, E. G.; Williams, C., K. L. Hudson; Bartlett, G. J., Heal, J. W.; Porter Goff, K. L., Sessions, R. B., Crump, M. P., Woolfson, D. N. Engineering protein stability with atomic precision in a monomeric miniprotein. Nat. Chem. Biol.,13, 764-770 (2017).
4) K. L. Hudson, G. J. Bartlett, R. C. Diehl, J. Agirre, T. Gallagher, L. L. Kiessling, D. N. Woolfson, Carbohydrate–Aromatic Interactions in Proteins. J. Am. Chem. Soc.,137, 15152-15160 (2015).
3) N. Mehrban, B. Zhu, F. Tamagnini, F. I. Young, A. Wasmuth, K. L. Hudson, A. R. Thomson, M. A. Birchall, A. D. Randall, B. Song, D. N. Woolfson, Functionalized α-Helical Peptide Hydrogels for Neural Tissue Engineering. ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng.,1, 431-439 (2015).
2) N. Mehrban, E. Abelardo, A. Wasmuth, K. L. Hudson, L. M. Mullen, A. R. Thomson, M. A. Birchall, D. N. Woolfson, Assessing Cellular Response to Functionalized α-Helical Peptide Hydrogels. Adv. Healthc. Mater.,3, 1387-1391 (2014).
1) A. J. Burton, F. Thomas, C. Agnew, K. L. Hudson, S. E. Halford, R. L. Brady, D. N. Woolfson, Accessibility, Reactivity, and Selectivity of Side Chains within a Channel of de Novo Peptide Assembly. J. Am. Chem. Soc.,135, 12524-12527 (2013).